Oh goodness, I was so doubtful that this would be good but after tasting it…I will never look back. Let’s do away with those fancy apple cakes! All you need is a bowl!
My mom shared this recipe with me so I don’t have the original source but since this is my first year choosing my own recipes for Rosh Hashana, she thought this might be a good place to start.
I followed the recipe word for word (for once) and am so happy with how it turned out. Granted, my mom’s apple peeler stashed away back home would’ve come in very handy tonight… Oh well, it’ll truly be a sweet new year with this delicious cake.
Skill Level: Simple
- At first, the mixture will look more like pie filling than cake and that’s okay!
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups of sugar
- 2 heaping teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of oil (I used canola oil)
- 6 Gala/Honey Crisp/Fuji apples (I stuck with Honey Crisp)
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and oil in a bowl.
- Peel and slice the apples. Make sure to stir in the new slices as you go to prevent browning.
- Combine the baking soda and flour. Mix into the apple mixture until the flour is incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a well-greased 9×13 pan (or two 9 inch rounds) and bake for 55 minutes.