I’m a big fan of salmon. BIG fan. But cod? Not so much. I like to pretend I like it but really, it just tastes so…fishy. Do I just not like fishy fish? I don’t know, that’s a mystery for another day.
Anyway, I tried this dish because dad bought lots of cod on sale and it wasn’t so bad. I really liked the flavor and the spinach and it was yum, but I’m still not sold on cod, so here’s what I’m thinking:
- If you aren’t a huge fan of cod, let the fish marinate in the spice mixture for at least half an hour.
- Use more spices than suggested for an exceptionally delicious flavor.
- If you don’t own garam masala, there are some easy substitute mixtures online.
- Serve with Jasmine or basmati rice or naan!
- You might also want a bit of salt on the table for flavor.
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 pound of cod cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil (or another flavorless oil)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced, grated, thinly sliced, however you like)
- thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 3.5 ounces of fresh spinach
- Combine the garam masala, turmeric, and paprika. Coat the fish in the mixture and set the leftover aside. You might want to make more of the mixture to use later.
- Heat the oil and garlic together over a medium heat in a medium lidded pan. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and fry for 5-10 minutes. Add the rest of the spice mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the cod and spinach then cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. The spinach should be wilted and the cod should be cooked through.