My first memory of arroz con pollo isn’t actually eating it. Ricky Ricardo (from I Love Lucy) attempted to make it for his wife Lucy and their neighbors Ethel and Fred Mertz…but it basically exploded and was never eaten.
While I recognize that the most successful way to make arroz con pollo is not to have it explode, I can’t help thinking that would be more fun. Anyway, I made this dish for Shabbat dinner and everyone loved it. It was easy and delicious, so go enjoy!
Skill Level: Basic
Original recipe can be found here.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (seeded and either sliced or diced)
1 carton (8 oz) of mushrooms (chopped)
2 boxes of Near East Spanish Rice
2.5 cups of water
~3.5 pounds of chicken
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
- You can serve it with tortilla chips if you’d like.
- Choose boneless, skinless, white, dark meat, it doesn’t matter. Go with what you like but make sure you cook it accordingly.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add in onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Let them saute for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to the 9×13 pan. Pour in the uncooked rice and the spice packets then stir to mix everything together.
- Rinse the chicken then pat it dry and then place each piece over the rice.
- Sprinkle the chicken with turmeric, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for an hour until the chicken is golden brown.